COSMOS is the name of the new platform. It includes IGEL OS, a secure endpoint operating system, the Universal Management Suite (UMS) for endpoint management and control, and cloud-based services that enable secure, optimal experiences for IT administrators and end-users. This new approach offers unprecedented security, flexibility, and performance for endpoint devices accessing VDI, DaaS, SaaS, and cloud-based digital workspaces.
One key aspect of IGEL COSMOS is that IGEL OS is separate from apps and services and can be updated independently. This reduces the attack surface on each endpoint and allows for flexibility in how apps and cloud services are procured, downloaded, and updated. Separating the OS from the apps and services also frees organizations from the disruption of large software releases. End-users can simply download the latest version of their apps, keeping technology updated and current, streamlining the OS and app qualification process, and allowing them to benefit from the latest apps as soon as they become available.
- COSMOS is a platform that includes IGEL OS, a secure endpoint operating system, the Universal Management Suite (UMS) for endpoint management and control, and cloud-based services that enable secure, optimal experiences for IT administrators and end-users.
- IGEL OS12 now separates applications from the OS, reducing its footprint and making it more secure due to its reduced attack surface.
- Introducing an industry-first "Boot to the Cloud" onboarding service that puts end-users from a brand new device into their unique workspace in four clicks in approximately three minutes.
- An App Portal that allows you to build an OS configuration to your exact specifications and update each app individually as needed. Updates can now be rolled out fast and automatically when required, backed by an ecosystem with over 100 partnerships powering the most complex workflows and peripherals.
- System-integrated Single-Sign-On (SSO) from Azure Active Directory, OKTA, and Ping ensures secure and convenient access to cloud desktops, apps, and SaaS applications.
- Unified communications support with all major vendors, including Microsoft, Zoom, and Cisco, ensures IGEL-powered endpoint users can collaborate with peers and customers flawlessly.
- A completely new unified protocol that can make use of modern application proxies in the cloud or on-premises. The new protocol is leaner, adds better scalability, and follows state-of-the-art communication architectures.
- An Insight Service enabling EUC admins to gain better insights into their IGEL infrastructure, providing recommendations to make better and more secure use of their IGEL endpoints.
IGEL COSMOS is perfect for organizations moving to the cloud, with an updated UI, a new dynamic application-centric deployment, an application store, onboarding services, and increased visibility through an insight service.
IMPORTANT NOTE - COSMOS is not just OS12 but also OS11.
IGEL OS – a secure, easy-to-manage endpoint device operating system
By Separating the Apps from the OS, we have reduced its footprint; IGEL OS not only updates faster but is more secure due to its reduced attack surface.
IGEL OS 12 is lean, efficient, and provides a great end-user experience. It can run on any compatible x86-64 device, including endpoints from a wide range of vendors. Similar to IGEL OS 11, it can be ordered as a factory-installed option on select endpoints from HP, Lenovo, and LG. By extending the useful life of existing devices by three years or more, transitioning to IGEL OS can result in significant CAPEX savings while also contributing to an organization's sustainability goals.
UMS 12 – a management and control system for up to hundreds of thousands of IGEL OS-powered endpoints
UMS 12 can manage and control many thousands of IGEL OS-powered endpoints. It gives the EUC admin the flexibility to create and manage tailored endpoint workspaces tuned to the specific needs of end-users based on their job roles while ensuring strong security.
The UMS works in unison with the cloud-based Service Hub. It has a web-based interface designed to provide all necessary information for time-efficient and easy endpoint and app management. For example, it sends notifications of new application versions available through the App Portal.
UMS 12 can manage endpoint devices powered by either IGEL OS 11 or IGEL 12. This eases the transition for existing IGEL OS 11 customers. UMS 12 supports a wide range of powerful endpoint management and control functions, including (but not limited to) automatic update streams, dynamic COSMOS Platform Access Subscription (PAS) management, high availability options, external load balancing, and many other capabilities. It also has conventional functionalities like user and permission management, logging, jobs and admin tasks, and admin views.
Cloud-based services complement the OS and UMS to reduce endpoint management costs and improve employee experience, including onboarding, app portal, insight, licensing, support, and more
IGEL Cloud Services is a centralized, secure, and cloud-based array of value-added services. It extends the capabilities and enhances the user experience for both IT teams and end-users of all IGEL OS-powered endpoint devices. With UMS 12, IGEL Cloud Services orchestrates all the linkages and logic that enhance and simplify both the EUC admin and end-user experience. It runs transparently in the cloud.
The EUC admin can access all available services with one identity via single sign-on (SSO) within the secure IGEL cloud. The IT team can also extend SSO to end-users across the enterprise.
IGEL COSMOS is the ideal EUC platform for companies that are migrating some, many, or eventually all of their apps, desktops, and end-user services to the cloud. With unmatched flexibility, security, and consistently productive end-user experiences, as well as easy, scalable management and control, IGEL COSMOS is the ideal platform to "future-proof" end-user access to the cloud, regardless of how that evolves over time.
IGEL OS is a secure, powerful, and efficient endpoint device solution that:
- Improves security by separating apps and services from the base OS, customizing features and functionalities based on end-users needs, and minimizing attack surfaces to reduce the risk of malware and ransomware attacks.
- It has a tamper-resistant, read-only file system and can configure a secure browser for safe user access to web apps and cloud-based DaaS offers like AWS and AVD.
- Includes a complete "chain of trust" verification process from the processor or UEFI to the host server or cloud, making it resistant to manipulation, viruses, and other malware.
- Separates application, peripherals, and interface software from the base OS through the COSMOS App Portal, reducing software updates needed to stay current with the latest version of IGEL OS and partner technology releases, streamlining the software update and distribution process, reducing IT team workload, and ensuring end-users always have access to the latest offerings from IGEL's technology partners (including their latest security-related patches).
Unlimited control – with a vast array of powerful device management options
- IGEL COSMOS includes highly scalable support for an ever-increasing distributed, mobile workforce. COSMOS includes the IGEL Universal Management System (UMS) that employs certificate-based secure communications over HTTPS and is a powerful, highly scalable management experience requiring less infrastructure for your IT Pro. Standardized ports and architecture allow for easy integration into existing firewalls and load balancers.
- The new Insight Service offers increased visibility of endpoints, administrative activity on endpoints, employees, and applications as well as the ability to identify potential security vulnerabilities.
- Hybrid multi-cloud. These days, more and more companies are adopting HTML5-based persistent web apps and cloud services alongside traditional Windows applications. Working with IGEL COSMOS means that regardless of where an app may originate or reside, easy user access and fine-tuned IT management is granted.
Ultimate compatibility - wide selection of hardware.
- IGEL COSMOS enables absolute endpoint device flexibility. Aging or fully depreciated, new or BYOD – IGEL's endpoint operating system runs on nearly any x86-64 device. Given that IGEL OS is so lean and efficient, it commonly extends the useful life of a device by up to four years or more, thereby extending your IT budget, reducing your carbon footprint, minimizing e-waste, and sharply reducing capital expenses on endpoint hardware.
- Any compatible device can be set up as an IGEL OS-powered endpoint within minutes. IGEL's UD Pocket, a highly portable micro-USB stick solution, enables people to simply plug it into an available USB port on their personal device of choice and they are up and running in their company workspace immediately. In this post-pandemic world, the UD Pocket proved to be especially valuable for disaster recovery and business continuity.
Hybrid work is the new normal.
- The IGEL COSMOS Onboarding Service allows for fast and easy end-user device onboarding – from anywhere – while requiring zero IT involvement during the brief process. This is especially beneficial with so many people working from home at least part of the time. The IGEL Cloud Gateway functionality enables zero-touch onboarding via the Internet, with frictionless ongoing remote access for users, and secure shadowing for IT administrators and support staff troubleshooting whenever required.
- IGEL COSMOS assists in achieving optimal unified communications. It enables high-fidelity collaboration, optimized for Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Cisco WebEx Teams & Meetings, JVDI, and Avaya, with corresponding headsets from EPOS, Jabra, and Poly – all downloadable in their latest versions via the IGEL App Portal.
Sustainability helps preserve the planet.
- Reduce your carbon footprint by extending the useful life of your existing hardware! IGEL OS runs on any compatible x86-64 endpoint device. Reusing existing desktop devices as IGEL OS-powered endpoints rather than purchasing new endpoints not only saves significant CapEx, it reduces harmful e-waste in landfills and can decrease carbon footprint by up to 60%, with significant OpEx savings.
- Secure remote working powered by IGEL COSMOS and IGEL OS-powered endpoints reduces supply chain and commuting emissions by up to 40%.
Unmatched Flexibility for the Cloud Era.
- The use of cloud-based services, including software-as-a-service (SaaS) has rapidly grown in the past few years. Scalability, flexibility, and cost savings are just some of the benefits. IGEL COSMOS supports all common cloud-based solutions, giving customers broad choice in determining which cloud-sourced services they want to use and when. The App Portal makes it easy to introduce new cloud-sourced apps and services when it's most convenient for all or just a select few of your endpoints.
- IGEL is a strong, committed partner with all major cloud services and technology suppliers, including Microsoft, Amazon, Citrix, VMware, and many others. IGEL COSMOS offers direct, proven integrations into these various cloud solutions through the IGEL Ready partner technology validation program.
IGEL License Portal (ILP)
The IGEL License Portal (ILP) is IGEL's cloud-based solution for managing IGEL subscriptions. The ILP provides an easy and intuitive interface for assigning, removing, moving, metering, and informing of license/subscription expiration. With IGEL COSMOS, the ILP manages per-device right-to-use PAS subscriptions for access to the entire IGEL COSMOS platform, which includes IGEL OS on the endpoints, the UMS, and access to various end-user accessible services like the App Portal.
IGEL COSMOS PAS subscriptions are available in three separate SKUs, each aligned with its corresponding support level (Select, Priority, or Priority Plus). They enable the use of the entire platform and its products, features, and support.
IGEL App Portal
The IGEL App Portal is a software repository that provides access to various applications through Web, UMS 12, or IGEL-powered endpoint users. It simplifies updating and patching endpoints for IT administrators and allows cloud-based software downloads for end-users based on their profiles. Similar to updating an iOS or Android device, end-users can download the latest validated software from IGEL Ready software partners with one click.
By separating the base IGEL OS from the apps and services, the App Portal offers various features that help EUC admins configure endpoints, such as the automatic configuration of "zero-day" updates, selection of specific application versions, and an optional on-premises solution for updates and installations.
IGEL Onboarding Service
The IGEL Onboarding Service simplifies the onboarding process for new users and their devices. The end-user only needs to answer three simple questions, and in three minutes or less, they are fully onboarded. The service automatically brings any new, out-of-the-box IGEL OS-powered device online and under the management of the IT department. This is done without requiring any assistance from the IT team.
When a user logs in with their company-provided username and password, the endpoint device does a lookup. If no UMS is available for that user, indicating that this is the initial out-of-box power-up and log-in, the onboarding service is contacted. It deploys all necessary information and certificates over the network to the device. Authentication via a preconfigured identity provider ensures that the UMS safely controls the organization’s IGEL OS-powered endpoint devices.
This rapid, no-touch onboarding service makes it fast and easy for both end-users and the IT team to add a new endpoint device under management and control from the UMS.
IGEL Insight Service
The IGEL Insight Service provides per-device insight that enables proactive recommendations to optimize the IGEL product portfolio. It generates reports of unique environments based on data from IGEL OS endpoints, the UMS, and IGEL Cloud Services. These reports can identify issues such as outdated apps or devices not fulfilling hardware requirements for a deployed unified communication solution.
The IGEL Insight Service collects analytical and usage data from all users to:
- Improve IGEL products and services and the user experience.
- Inform users about available software and security updates.
- Provide recommendations for system optimization (software and hardware).
- Identify potential performance issues regarding apps in their setup.
- Improve customer support and consulting.
The identity of individual IGEL OS devices will only be stored pseudonymously. All data will be anonymized after two years.
Users can withdraw their consent by disabling the Insight Service functionality as described above. By doing so, they will not receive further recommendations based on their setup.
The IGEL COSMOS Platform Access Subscription, or PAS, is a flexible, secure, and granular way to subscribe endpoint devices to COSMOS Cloud Services, UMS 12 and IGEL OS 11 or OS 12. COSMOS PAS unlocks access to UMS 12 which can manage and control OS 11 or OS 12-powered endpoints. For existing IGEL customers, there is technically no change, as a right-to-use license is still required on each IGEL OS-powered endpoint device. One COSMOS PAS subscription license runs on each endpoint, independently of the IGEL OS version – OS 11 or OS 12). A nice benefit of this is that no license migration is needed from OS 11 to OS 12 if you’re already in subscription mode.
The SKU will include a support tier – select, priority, or plus.
- Select Support with COSMOS requires a Platform Access Subscription (PAS). It consists of web support coverage and a 3-day response window for addressing support inquiries
- Priority Support is offered at an additional cost and adds to SELECT support with phone support and remote access, with a shorter inquiry response window for critical issues
- Plus Support is offered at an additional cost above PRIORITY support with 24×7 coverage for critical issues and an even shorter response time commitment
As COSMOS supports OS 11 and OS 12 devices, customers can run either version by purchasing a new COSMOS license. We, therefore, do not provide SKUs for OS 11 anymore.